Keyboard Font problem - A solution

Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Sun Sep 9 15:34:41 UTC 2012

On 07/09/12 12:26, Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA types:
>      I posted this two days ago and got no response. I find it hard to
>      believe that I am the only one with this problem. Perhaps someone
>      can try selecting "US International keyboard" and see if it can be
>      unselected restoring "US English keyboard" again and keeping it upon
>      reboot. This is really causing me a lot of inconvenience and I don't
>      know how to fix it short of re-installing F-17. I could probably
>      reset it after reboot with a simple script but I don't know
>      how/where to select the keyboard setup from the command line that,
>      would work around the problem 'til F-18 comes along.
>

>           I have two F-17 64 bit computers in which once I selected "US
>           International" keyboard under Administration > Keyboard that
>           selection seems always to come up in reboot although the selection
>           has been changed to "US English." That change takes effect once I go
>           through the motion of changing it, that is to bring up the GUI menu
>           and close it while doing nothing else, it already says US Keyboard
>           is selected, apparently "closing" that menu restore the US settings
>           until user bobg logs off, when I log on again I have to "fix" the
>           keyboard. problem.
>
>           I tried creating a new user "rfg" and logged off/on with the same
>           problem.
>
>           Any idea what is wrong?
>
>           Bob

    On two computers here the GUI leaves /etc/sysconfig/keyboard set to
    "US International" after "US English" has been selected. It is
    necessary to edit the file manually to remove the line
    VARIANT="intl" after which the keyboard functions normally when the
    system is re-booted.

    Bob

    --
    http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD