preserving partitions during reinstall

Dave Mitchell davem at iabyn.com
Sun Sep 9 18:33:52 UTC 2012

I just did a re-install of a F14 system to bring it up to F17.
I wanted to keep the separate /home partition untouched (i.e. keep the
data), but there didn't seem to be any option to achieve this in the
installer. None of the options seemed to be able to recognise or preserve
the partitioning info within the encrypted LVM volume (as originally set
up by the F13 installer, then unchanged after a F14 upgrade).

Am I missing something, or is this a bug. (This is mostly academic for me
now, as in the end, I backed-up, installed, and restored).

This was my original layout on a single disk system:

    sda1 		ext4	  500 Mb /boot
    sda2	 	LVM PV 113972 Mb vg_pigeon (encrypted)

    vg_pigeon:
	lv_root:	ext4	13024 Mb /
	lv_swap:	swap	 2048 Mb (swap)
	lv_home:	ext4	98880 Mb /home