preserving partitions during reinstall

Dave Mitchell davem at iabyn.com
Sun Sep 9 19:22:46 UTC 2012

On Sat, Sep 08, 2012 at 05:12:31AM -0600, JD wrote:

> On 09/09/2012 12:33 PM, Dave Mitchell wrote:
> >I just did a re-install of a F14 system to bring it up to F17.
> >I wanted to keep the separate /home partition untouched (i.e. keep the
> >data), but there didn't seem to be any option to achieve this in the
> >installer. None of the options seemed to be able to recognise or preserve
> >the partitioning info within the encrypted LVM volume (as originally set
> >up by the F13 installer, then unchanged after a F14 upgrade).
> >
> >Am I missing something, or is this a bug. (This is mostly academic for me
> >now, as in the end, I backed-up, installed, and restored).
> >
> >This was my original layout on a single disk system:
> >
> >     sda1 		ext4	  500 Mb /boot
> >     sda2	 	LVM PV 113972 Mb vg_pigeon (encrypted)
> >
> >     vg_pigeon:
> >	lv_root:	ext4	13024 Mb /
> >	lv_swap:	swap	 2048 Mb (swap)
> >	lv_home:	ext4	98880 Mb /home
> >

> During the phase when all partitions are listed, select the partition
> you wish mounted as, say...  /home
> In the gui there is n entry where it says
> mount as .. and you fill the blank..
> Be sure you DO  NOT SELECT TO HAVE IT FORMATTED!!!

Perhaps I need to clarify a bit. Under none of the five-or-so install
options, did it recognise any of the partitions within vg_pigeon;
under the options that kept the volume group vg_pigeon, it suggested 3 new
partitions for /, /home and swap, none of which were the same size as the
original partitions, and *didn't* give the option of skipping formatting.

So at no point was a I presented with a /home patititon that matched the
alignment of the existing partition, and where I could unselect 'format'.

--
I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.