Clams.....

jdow jdow at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 10 05:06:48 UTC 2012

On 2012/09/09 19:02, Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. wrote:
> On 09/09/2012 09:02 PM, Roger wrote:

>>> After "thumbing" through the guide I was so graciously directed to by Doug, I
>>> was able to accomplish everything I needed done....I'm right now sitting down
>>> with a steaming mug of coffee, and I'm about a fourth of the way through
>>> Chapter 4....interesting reading indeed!...
>>>
>>> EGO II
>> That's interesting, I did not know that some distros don't include sudo, etc.
>> I do agree that being root is a good thing at times, but is fraught with
>> dangers galore for the unwary. I can understand why they don't want it public
>> knowledge, youch!
>> Roger
>
> Which is the complete opposite of a Windows mentality....in that universe
> whomever installs the OS IS the administrator.....which isn't always the best
> decision out there.....

Actually with Windows 7 (and apparently Vista, too) it is more like you
are logged in to an account that is more or less sort of (and more weasel
words) equivalent to a Linux account in the wheel group for running sudo.
You CAN do "most" "root" commands; but, you must perform a GUI based
equivalent of sudo first. You can even log into a "sort of root" account
by running the command prompt as administrator. By default you run as a
standard user as in modern Linux setups. (And, yes, this is just as
annoying to serious experienced Windows users on Windows 7 as it is for
serious experienced Linux users on a Linux distro.) It IS, however, worlds
safer when considering malware or clumsy-wetware.

{^_^}