Adding fonts

jonetsu jonetsu at teksavvy.com
Mon Sep 10 23:39:36 UTC 2012

Le Dimanche, 09 Sep 2012 18:32:57 +0200,
François Patte <francois.patte at mi.parisdescartes.fr> a écrit :

> If you want to have any chances to make the difference between what
> comes from the distribution and what you have added, you should create
> your local font directories in /usr/local/share/fonts and be shure
> that you have a file /etc/fonts/conf.d/09-local.conf with these lines
>
> <?xml version="1.0"?>
>   <!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
>   <fontconfig>
>   <dir>/opt/share/fonts</dir>
> </fontconfig>
>
> If you don't have it, create it (don't forget to give the correct
> permissions.... then run
>
> fc-cache -fsv
>
> to chech, run
>
> fc-list -v | grep "name of font"  (without the ")

 Thanks for the hint on localisation.  Indeed, this can be quite
practical when it comes to saving the fonts that were added to the
system.

  But there's more to it and I'll start another thread.  What I found
with the Japanese fonts that I've used is that some are directly mapped
to the keyboard keys, which does not make sense at all (at least for
romaji input which is very common - have no dedicated Japanese
keyboard) and some simply renders any character as a square.

  But the method above works nicely to install localized fonts.  Just
make sure that the path where the fonts are and the path referred-to in
the config file are the same ! ;-)