gparted question

Heinz Diehl htd at fritha.org
Tue Sep 11 05:50:12 UTC 2012

On 11.09.2012, Tom Horsley wrote:

> Or is that too easy, and something I can't think of
> might go horribly wrong (which is why I ask :-)?

The only thing I can think of by now is something like WDs "advanced
format", that the drive uses 512/4096 sectorsize. If the partition is
properly aligned, you should grow your partition to a size which is
divisible by 4096. You can check that with "fdisk -c -u" or simply by
counting: "cat /dev/your_partition | wc -c".

If your admin did a clone copy on such a disk, it's likely that all
partitions on it are misaligned. In this case, you'll have to
re-partition the whole disk. You should at least check.