preserving partitions during reinstall

Suvayu Ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 13:38:06 UTC 2012

On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 11:39:23AM +0100, Dave Mitchell wrote:

> I expect an option within anaconda that will *inspect* the existing
> partitioning layout of a device, and present that to me as the new
> default. Anaconda has the ability to examine the vg_pigeon device, and
> see that there are 3 partitions on it, last mounted as /, /home and swap.

Doesn't Rick's response say you get that option when you choose "Replace
Existing Linux System(s)"?  I do not have an optical drive, so I can't
really boot and check.  Or could it be that Anaconda has problems
because your LVM is encrypted?

> Or to come at the question from another angle:
>
> I have a system with a reasonably straightforward layout:
> 1 disk, split into two physical partitions; the first holds /boot, the
> 2nd is an encrypted LVM volume that has 3 partitions: /, swap /home.
> I want to install a new release of the OS (overwriting / and /boot), while
> preserving /home. How can I do that in a simple and safe manner?

Again, maybe the fact that the LVM is ecrypted is preventing Anaconda
from seeing the existing partition sizes under "Create custom layout"
also.  I say this because, I always use the custom layout option and as
far as I recall Anaconda shows me existing partitions, and I can choose
to edit/delete them.  So if I leave the same partitioning scheme, all I
need to do is specify the appropriate mount points.

Hope this is clearer.

--
Suvayu