LVM [WAS Re: Yum cache memory space -]

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Tue Sep 11 14:25:25 UTC 2012

Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 06.09.2012 21:35, schrieb Steven Stern:
>>>
>>> Personally, I find LVM to be a great solution looking for a problem.  I
>>> only have one LVM partition, and that's only because I forgot to turn it
>>> off when I created it.  Of course, I'm only using Fedora for my home
>>> computer, and I can see how useful it can be in a production
>>> environment.  Maybe what we need is for anaconda to ask if this is a
>>> home or production installation, and have LVM default to off for home,
>>> on for production?
>>
>> If it were simple then LVM would be wonderful.  If, on detecting a new
>> drive, the system would say "Hey, you have a new drive. Do you want me
>> to extend one or more existing partitions there?", it would be workable.
>> But it's not that easy.
>
> and this is good so
> why?
>
> because many naive people would say "yes extend" without realize
> what happens if you have a LVM over 6 physical drives without a
> RAID after one of the drives is dying

Having anything over multiple drives without RAID means you really know what you
are doing, or really *don't* know what you are doing. At least with LVM you can
get rid of the failing part if it doesn't die before you do.

I agree the LVM is really hard to use, because the UI was designed by someone
who doesn't think the way I do. My impression is that a lot of other people
share this opinion.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>