preserving partitions during reinstall

Roger arelem at bigpond.com
Tue Sep 11 23:28:14 UTC 2012

Doesn't Rick's response say you get that option when you choose "Replace
Existing Linux System(s)"?  I do not have an optical drive, so I can't
really boot and check.  Or could it be that Anaconda has problems
because your LVM is encrypted?

>> Just to be absolutely clear: on both the original system, and on a second
>> system (to confirm), I have very carefully gone through every partitioning
>> option, and checked that *none* of them recognise the existing partitions
>> in the encrypted volume. But note also that just before reaching that stage,
>> anaconda prompts me for the password for sda2, so in principle it has the
>> information needed to retrieve that partitioning data.
>>
> Do you have an unencrypted volume around?  This could be a bug; as far
> as I recall Anaconda used to have trouble with encrypted volumes
> sometime in the past.  This could just be a regression.

So what's the upshot here?
Can the  vg home partition be preserved in a fresh install of Fedora 17
to replace fedora 16?
Roger