Owner nobody -

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Wed Sep 12 16:36:05 UTC 2012

On 09/12/2012 08:20 AM, Marvin Kosmal uttered this comment:
> On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 7:49 AM, Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA
> <bobgoodwin at wildblue.net> wrote:

>>> That is what you see on you *server*?

>>     Yes, that is what I see on box8 [nfs server] from box9 [F-17/64] at
>>     /mnt/SRVR1.

I'm confused. The prompt at the "ll" command shows "box7" but you're
saying the output is from box8 and you can see the files on box9. You
need to clarify your network.

Which machine is the actual NFS server? What is it actually exporting
(output of "showmount -e")?

Which machines are NFS clients and how is the export mounted (output of
the "mount" command that shows the NFS mount).

>>     I can access the files from box9 but she can not from her Mac on our
>>     LAN.
>
> HI
>
> Are you a member of the nobody group?

That shouldn't be an issue as the owner and group are nobody but the
directory is "other: read execute". We don't have any information on
the files IN the directory.

We have noted that there is an issue with some later MacOS versions
(can't recall if it's SnowLeopard or what) that will have issues if the
export from the NFS server uses wildcards in the export. Seems to work
if one uses a CIDR network instead of wildcarded host names.
-           grep me no patterns and I'll tell you no lines           -