Owner nobody -

Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Wed Sep 12 20:55:06 UTC 2012

On 12/09/12 12:36, Rick Stevens types:
> On 09/12/2012 08:20 AM, Marvin Kosmal uttered this comment:
>> On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 7:49 AM, Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA
>> <bobgoodwin at wildblue.net> wrote:
>>> On 12/09/12 10:30, Ed Greshko types:

>>>      Yes, that is what I see on box8 [nfs server] from box9 [F-17/64] at
>>>      /mnt/SRVR1.
> I'm confused. The prompt at the "ll" command shows "box7" but you're
> saying the output is from box8 and you can see the files on box9. You
> need to clarify your network.

    Yeah, I was confused too, box9 is not in use today this is box7, I
    forgot where I was.

> Which machine is the actual NFS server? What is it actually exporting
> (output of "showmount -e")?

    Box8 is the nfs server, it's SL-6/64 bit and NS4.

    And I'm not sure what this means:

        [root at box7 SRVR1]# showmount -e
        clnt_create: RPC: Program not registered

> Which machines are NFS clients and how is the export mounted (output of
> the "mount" command that shows the NFS mount).

    The clients we are 7, 9 not running, and 44 [192.168.1.44 MacPro 31
    desktop computer. There are others, all Apple stuff.

>>>      I can access the files from box9 but she can not from her Mac on our
>>>      LAN.
>> HI
>>
>> Are you a member of the nobody group?
> That shouldn't be an issue as the owner and group are nobody but the
> directory is "other: read execute". We don't have any information on
> the files IN the directory.
>
> We have noted that there is an issue with some later MacOS versions
> (can't recall if it's SnowLeopard or what) that will have issues if the
> export from the NFS server uses wildcards in the export. Seems to work
> if one uses a CIDR network instead of wildcarded host names.

    She has the latest version of OSX, whatever that's called, but there
    are no wild cards used that I am aware of.

    However after she left I got to the Mac computer and found that
    connecting to the server as she was doing produces an error message
    that we have no permission to connect!

    I went to 192.168.1.8 and connected and was able to display MP4
    videos using VLC that I must have installed a few months ago. I am
    not familiar with the Mac and was not able to get it to work with
    some .flv files with VLC or another program that keeps popping up, I
    forget what it's called.

    So the nature of the problem changes. I need to learn how to convert
    .flv to .mp4 with ffmpeg which it seems is supposed to be able to do
    that but I haven't had much success. Firefox has an add-on
    "dwhelper" that will sometimes convert and save a video file as mp4,
    it hasn't worked reliably for me though, I had no success saving
    .flv as mp4.

    So that's where I stand now, just wanted to explain. Thanks to all,

    Bob

--
http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD

box7