Why did they f*ck with GIMP?

Bryn M. Reeves bmr at redhat.com
Fri Sep 14 10:41:59 UTC 2012

On 09/13/2012 08:57 PM, Fedora User wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-09-13 at 15:41 -0400, Fedora User wrote:
>> People must have too much time on their hands. Add some features; maybe
>> clean up some code. But why on earth make major UI changes to a program
>> that consistently did exactly what it was supposed to do exactly as it
>> was supposed to do it - - - and now doesn't. Ugh!
>
> BTW, Fedora 17, GIMP 2.8.2. Unable to center multi-line text. Can no
> longer create a shape and then fill it with a color. Color ME
> frustrated.

I just tried these operations in 2.8.2 and they are working for me in
more-or-less the way I've always used them. There's sometimes more than
one way to achieve a result in Gimp so that may be why your experience
differs (or it could just be a bug/bugs).

To create and fill a shape I use the selection or path editing tools to
create an outline, stroke it and then the bucket-fill tool to fill it
with a pattern or solid colour.

For centred multi-line text I just use the text tool, click to place and
enter the text. The floating (cairo) dialog does not give you the
justification options but it's there in the tool options pane:

http://www.errorists.org/stuff/gimp-2.8.2-fill-and-text.png

If you turn single window mode off (Windows menu and uncheck
Single-Window mode) it'll be in the bottom half of the floating toolbox
window.

Regards,
Bryn.