Fedora 17 in a CHROOT on Ubuntu - and the wrong dependency on rpmlib(X-CheckUnifiedSystemdir)

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Fri Sep 14 14:31:20 UTC 2012

Marc Wäckerlin wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am working in Ubuntu and compiling RPMs for Fedora. That's why I install Fedora in
> a **chroot** environment. That works fine with Fedora 16, but fails with Fedora 17 due
> to the wrong "rpmlib(X-CheckUnifiedSystemdir)" dependency.
>
> I Do not upgrade and I cannot use dracut, because Fedora 17 is in a chroot and cannot
> boot. So the instructions at http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upgrading_Fedora_using_yum
> do **not** help.
>
> How to solve the problem? What does dracut do, why(*) does rpm fail, where does this
> dependency come from? How can I either fake this dependency or prevent RPM from requiring
> it? I need a deep inside knowledge on what's going on, what dracut does and what rpm does.
> What have the fedora-guys patched to get thie wrong dependency, and how can I undo it?
>
> ----
> (*) I mean technically *why*, not user-view answers like "to prevent upgrades without
> fs-migration", this kind of answer does not help, but technical answers like "dracut
> creates content X in file Y, then the dependency is ignored in rpm"

Marc, I have to ask why you are doing that as opposed to just creating a VM and
running Fedora in that. It just seems so much easier. And I have friends running
fc17 in VM on both Mac and Windows7, so it's pretty sure Ubuntu would do so as well.

Just curious why you took that approach.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>