Why did they f*ck with GIMP?

Roger arelem at bigpond.com
Fri Sep 14 23:55:08 UTC 2012

>>> There seems to be a lot of hatred here (even in this thread) for the
>>> multi-window interface. But I, for one, wish that *more* applications
>>> implemented it.
>>>
>>> It is seriously the only way to go when you have multiple monitors and
>>> edit a lot of images simultaneously. (Try to imagine stretching a
>>> single-window interface across three screens. Ick.)

I, from early RedHat days thru all versions of Fedora and Ububnu, love
the multi window interface. A few apps had it but over time have gone to
one interface where the work area is so small one has to be proficient
at panning. I wish more apps stayed with the multi window method.
I can work on the "full" image without the screen being apportioned to
menu and configuration systems that are, after all, only tools used one
at a time.
It's of little importance where they are as long as they are not in my
image/work space.

Blender 3d had multi windows and was great. Now it has an interface
where 30% of the usable space is menus and selections for no good reason
other than to appeal to users who may, but probably won't migrate from
proprietary systems.

I heartily agree that it's the way to go when one has multiple monitors.
I hope that Gimp does not go the same path as those apps.
Roger