Slightly OT about urls

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Sat Sep 15 19:29:27 UTC 2012

On 09/15/2012 12:11 PM, Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. wrote:
> This all sounds so confusing! But I think I've actally been to a site
> like that once! It was "based" out of China....and no matter WHAT link
> you clicked on, you'd go to a separate page that had NO way to hit the
> "Back" button on your browser!.....How is that even POSSIBLE!?

Back in the Bad Old Days, I had a page on my site that claimed to be a
dead end on the Internet.  There were no links on it, hitting the Back
button just reloaded it and your history was blank.

How did I do it?  Easy: the link to it went through eleven redirects
with blank names, because in those days your history only showed your
last ten pages.  The Back button just reloaded a redirect, and clicking
on any of the blank lines in your history just lead back to the dead
end.  Then, mirable dictu, Intersnot Exploder Did The Right Thing so
that using the Back button skipped over any redirects, and about a year
later, Nutscrape copied them and the page stopped working.  Still, it
was amusing while it lasted.

No, that probably doesn't answer your question, but I thought you might
find it interesting.  Besides, it's my birthday today so you have to
humor me on things like this even if you don't want to.  How old am I?
Well, if you write out my new age in hex, I appear to be the same age as
Jack Benny.