MSMTP Problem [OT] FIXED

Arthur Dent misc.lists at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Sep 16 09:55:51 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-09-10 at 10:44 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:

> > Ha! That works! (Well sort of)...
> > I used the command:
> > cat message | /usr/bin/msmtp --host=smtp.blueyonder.co.uk -f
> > mark at mydomian.org fred at myotherdomain.eu (where myotherdomain.eu has a
> > catchall redirect the sends mail to mark at mydomain.com)
> >
> > The mail came through with a "From" (and return) address of
> > SRS0=yLoOyU=mydomain.org=mark at myotherdomain.eu
> >
> > Not quite sure how those strings came about, but at least mail gets
> > through.
>
> Your "message" file....is it a properly formatted email message?
>

> > So the question:
> > What settings should I be using?
>
> Not sure what you're asking there.....

Sorry Ed,

I didn't mean to be rude in not replying, but I got hit with a problem
in $REALLIFE.

What I meant by this was what settings should I use in /etc/msmtprchttp?

What I had at that point was in the bit of my mail that you trimmed in
your reply:
> > logfile /var/log/msmtp.log
> > tls on
> > tls_certcheck off
> > tls_starttls off
> > host smtp.blueyonder.co.uk
> > from noreply at mydomain.org

I tried taking out (commenting out) the tls stuff. No joy. I tried
altering the "from"... Success! I changed it to be "mark at mydomain.org".
"mark" is a valid user on this machine. Is that what the problem was? If
that is the case I didn't spot anywhere that it was a requirement that
the "from" be a "valid" user.

Anyhow - it now works. The strange thing is that I had not re-enabled
the tls settings and - even though Blueyonder insist that connections
should be made with SSL - it still works!

Thanks for all your your help.

Mark