Symbolic computation on Fedora

Michael Hannon jm_hannon at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 16 22:37:43 UTC 2012

>At the moment I am short on time, so cannot experiment with sage.  That
>said, Fedora has a long standing packaging effort for SAGE[1].  It seems
>to me sage needs a TeXLive-like distribution model to be not so
>intimidating for new users.  This however does not make the effort
>required to include it in Linux distribution respositories any simpler.
>
>I'll try compiling my own in a few weeks when I have some more time and
>report back.

Hi, Suvayu.  It's possible I was just lucky enough to have all the required dependencies already installed, but in my case it took less than a minute of my own time to download and build sage (e.g., "wget ...; make").  It did take a lot of time for the file to download and the build to complete, but I didn't have to do anything while these were ongoing.

-- Mike