Why did they f*ck with GIMP?

Roger arelem at bigpond.com
Sun Sep 16 23:21:19 UTC 2012

On 09/17/2012 03:20 AM, Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. wrote:
> On 09/14/2012 02:32 PM, Alan Evans wrote:
>> On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 11:27 AM, fred smith wrote:
>>> because there's been a LOT of whining from many people about the multi-
>>> window interface. Allegedly it alienates Photoshop users, preventing
>>> them from being willing to learn to  use Gimp (and Linux, et al.)
>> There seems to be a lot of hatred here (even in this thread) for the
>> multi-window interface. But I, for one, wish that *more* applications
>> implemented it.
>>
>> It is seriously the only way to go when you have multiple monitors and
>> edit a lot of images simultaneously. (Try to imagine stretching a
>> single-window interface across three screens. Ick.)
>>
>> -Alan
> The flipside to this would be only having a small laptop screen to
> work with and not wanting to switch to various windows constantly in
> order to get something done in GIMP.
>

> EGO II
Not so at all, There is no hatred, just discussion of merit one way or
another.

Both my daughters use multi window Gimp, as is, on 3 or 4 laptops, they
also do not see any reason to change to a one size fits all prospect.
I use Gimp on a multi monitor desktop and on an old Dell 1520 laptop and
have no problem with multi screen.

An analogy would be that on my work bench in my shed, a real life
situation, I could not work if the periphery was taken up by all of my
tools of which I use one at a time, no! they get put back on hooks, on
racks, in drawers. This is Gimp, putting the tools away until needed
once again.
Gimp multi window is for me, like my hard copy work bench. A delight to use.

Alienating Photoshop users is an entirely different subject, not related
to Gimp single or multi screen use. It really should not be part of this
discussion. It implies that they have a mental block prevention from
learning new ways. I do not believe that to be the case.
Photoshop users will not and have no reason to change. They are happy
with their expensive image manipulation software.
There are millions of new users out there who do not want photoshop and
it is those who need to be told about Gimp. They will learn multi window
quickly.

One of my daughters, mentioned above, is a secondary teacher at a
private college. She used photoshop for a few days because her students did.
Removed it and went to Gimp, as did all of her students who no longer
complain loud and long about having to use such a crap application that
broke continuously.

There are reasons for and against every GUI, but from my experience, no
one I know wants to revert to photoshop because it is too difficult to
use when compared to Gimp with it's multi screen.

Roger

Roger