Installing MATE

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon Sep 17 15:56:14 UTC 2012

Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 09/17/2012 08:29 AM, Bill Davidsen wrote:
>> I got some questions about MATE and wanted to install it and actually see how it worked. I started with a machine on fc17, which had Cinnamon and XFCE installed. After doing the yum install, I don't see MATE in the list of managers available at login. Before I spend a lot of time in documentation, it this normal? Does it not drop in like KDE, etc?
>>

> MATE is not currently in the Fedora repositories.

Okay, that explaines it, I thought the stuff called mate-window-manager, which
really is most definitely in the Fedora repositories, was the mate I wanted.
mate-window-manager.i686                     1.4.0-3.fc17               updates
mate-window-manager-devel.i686               1.4.0-3.fc17               updates
mate-window-manager-libs.i686                1.4.0-3.fc17               updates

So what on Earth is the stuff in the repository, then?

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>