ftp with TLS auth

Michael J Gruber michaeljgruber+fedora-lists at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 08:48:01 UTC 2012

Joachim Backes venit, vidit, dixit 17.09.2012 12:39:
> On 09/17/2012 12:22 PM, Michael J Gruber wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I'ven been struggling to find an ftp client in Fedora which supports TLS
>> auth. Tried ftp, lftp, ncftp, even dolphin (KDE file manager); all fail
>> with "must use TLS auth".
>>
>> Is this due to our use of GNU TLS rather than OpenSSL for many packages?
>>
>> Firefox with FireFTP works...
>>
>> Michael
>>
>> (everything F16 with updates)
>>

> See FTPS:
>
> http://www.ford-hutchinson.com/~fh-1-pfh/ftps-ext.html
>
> Kind regards

That page has lots of useful info, though not so much Fedora specific. I
can infer from that list that curl can do ftp with TLS using either
OpenSSL or GNU TLS, so probably it can in Fedora. Leaves me with:

- Are these the only options in Fedora (curl, FireFTP, FileZille)? (I'd
rather have something on command line like ftp, or desktop file manager
integration.)

- Why do we build lftp and the like with GNU TLS rather than OpenSSL? (I
suspect some license clash or problem like in similar cases.)