Clamd and systemd

Arthur Dent misc.lists at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Sep 18 08:56:45 UTC 2012

> Arthur Dent pise:

>> getting it

>> things

>> > 	Not to touch ;-). Just run
>> > systemctl enable clamd.scan.service
>> > systemctl start clamd.scan.service
>>
>> Hi - Thanks for that, but I'm afraid that was one of the very many
>> things I tried. It didn't work.
>>
>> # systemctl enable clamd.scan.service
>> Failed to issue method call: No such file or directory
>>
>> What tells it that it is a "scan" service? That bit of the puzzle seems
>> to be missing...
> 	The main question is: what do you want to do? Just check files on
> disk or check them when they are uploaded on a webserver or check incoming
> and outcoming mail? Then, do you want continous updates of virus database
> or
> just update rpm packages?

I do use clamav for occasional file scanning, but the primary reason for
this install to to scan incoming email. I have a procmail recipe which
uses clamd to scan and filter mail. I have freshclam running via cron and
I also use the sane-security 3rd party signatures.

> 	You most probably need to install clamav (+its dependencies) and
> clamav-update, maybe also clamav-scanner with clamav-scanner-systemd which
> contains the .service file. But I am just guessing. There are 19 clamav
> related packages.

I am at work at the moment I and I can no longer SSH into my F17 box (the
BOFH sysadmin here has blocked all "non-essential" inbound and outboud
ports - but I am working on him to get my access back!) so I can't check,
but I think I have installed all the required packages with the possible
exception of clamav-scanner-systemd. When I get home I will check that
out. I think that may be the cause of my problem.

Thanks! I will report back...

Mark