F16 => F17 PreUpgrade Invalid Device ID Dumps to dracut Shell

bhanks at bhanks.net bhanks at bhanks.net
Tue Sep 18 13:55:15 UTC 2012

> Message: 7
> Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 16:35:58 +0200
> From: Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net>
> To: Community support for Fedora users
> <users at lists.fedoraproject.org>
> Cc: bhanks at bhanks.net
> Subject: Re: F16 => F17 PreUpgrade Invalid Device ID Dumps to dracut
> 	Shell
>

> why in the world are you not doing the upgrade with yum?
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upgrading_Fedora_using_yum#Fedora_16_-.3E_Fedora_17
>
> preupgrade is a blackbox with success or fail (often fail)
> after a yum upgrade you can verify and fix any boot-config

I normally don't use Preugrade.  The Warning message on the page that
you have linked above is what influenced my decision to use PreUpgrade.
It says "Warning:  There is a general warning about upgrading via. yum
being unsupported at the top of this page. However Fedora 17 is very
special. You should seriously consider stopping now and just using
anaconda via. DVD or preupgrade, unlike all previous releases it's what
the yum/rpm developers recommend. Continue at your own risk."  This
comment makes it seem like PreUpgrade is a better option.

So, now that I've chosen this road, I am certainly wishing that I would
have just done a fresh install and that's likely where I will end up.
I've solved the dracut problem with the following steps:
1.  grub2-mkconfig
2.  Modify /boot/grub2/grub.cfg to remove all UUID references and
replaced with device refs (/dev/sdax).  I'm not sure why but the UUIDs
were confusing dracut.  They were correct, but no matter what I tried it
would not work.
3.  dracut
4.  Reboot

I can now boot up to the point where the NVIDIA driver loads.  This
fails because it still has the FC16 variant installed.  I've tried to
remove and reinstall the FC17 version, but it's not working.  Grub seems
to have a $releasever reference to FC16.  Odd given that
/etc/fedora-realease and every other reference is to FC17.  I'm going to
try to fix this tonight.  If I can't get it working, I'm just going to
backup my data and do a fresh install.

Brian