F16 => F17 PreUpgrade Invalid Device ID Dumps to dracut Shell

Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. eoconnor25 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 23:41:30 UTC 2012

On 09/18/2012 09:55 AM, bhanks at bhanks.net wrote:

>> Message: 7
>> Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 16:35:58 +0200
>> From: Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net>
>> To: Community support for Fedora users <users at lists.fedoraproject.org>
>> Cc: bhanks at bhanks.net
>> Subject: Re: F16 => F17 PreUpgrade Invalid Device ID Dumps to dracut
>>     Shell
>>

>> why in the world are you not doing the upgrade with yum?
>>
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upgrading_Fedora_using_yum#Fedora_16_-.3E_Fedora_17
>>

>> preupgrade is a blackbox with success or fail (often fail)
>> after a yum upgrade you can verify and fix any boot-config
>

> I normally don't use Preugrade.  The Warning message on the page that
> you have linked above is what influenced my decision to use
> PreUpgrade.  It says "Warning:  There is a general warning about
> upgrading via. yum being unsupported at the top of this page. However
> Fedora 17 is very special. You should seriously consider stopping now
> and just using anaconda via. DVD or preupgrade, unlike all previous
> releases it's what the yum/rpm developers recommend. Continue at your
> own risk."  This comment makes it seem like PreUpgrade is a better
> option.
>
> So, now that I've chosen this road, I am certainly wishing that I
> would have just done a fresh install and that's likely where I will
> end up.  I've solved the dracut problem with the following steps:
> 1.  grub2-mkconfig
> 2.  Modify /boot/grub2/grub.cfg to remove all UUID references and
> replaced with device refs (/dev/sdax).  I'm not sure why but the UUIDs
> were confusing dracut.  They were correct, but no matter what I tried
> it would not work.
> 3.  dracut
> 4.  Reboot
>
> I can now boot up to the point where the NVIDIA driver loads. This
> fails because it still has the FC16 variant installed.  I've tried to
> remove and reinstall the FC17 version, but it's not working.  Grub
> seems to have a $releasever reference to FC16.  Odd given that
> /etc/fedora-realease and every other reference is to FC17.  I'm going
> to try to fix this tonight.  If I can't get it working, I'm just going
> to backup my data and do a fresh install.
>

> Brian

Which to me....sounds like the better option! If you have to go through
all_those_ hoops just to get it up & running, then maybe a fresh install
IS the way to go!?....just my two cents. (I had MAJOR problems going
from F14 to F15....and after almost 20 attempts I just gave in and took
all my data off the bloody machine.....dumped it into a desktop, and
then did a fresh install to F15....the funny thing is......I dared to
use PreUpgrade going from F15 to F16....and it worked flawlessly!....the
same thing when it came to going from F16 to F17.....I would HOPE that
they've ironed out enough of the kinks so that I can go from F17 to F18
without a problem!) But I think the older my laptop gets the harder it
might be to go from version to version easily....just my assumptions
mind you...I have no concrete proof on it.

EGO II