xorg.conf and Nouveau

Anthony Messina amessina at messinet.com
Wed Sep 19 04:24:04 UTC 2012

On Tuesday, September 18, 2012 05:17:25 PM Jim wrote:
> Fedora 17 / KDE
>
> Can I use the nouveau driver in xorg.conf to Lock in the resolution ?.
>
> I have a computer that defaults to 1920x1080 and that resolution is to
> high, and I have a older friend that will be using this computer and I
> want to Lock into
> 1280x1024x75 .
>
> I don't want to use the nvidia drivers they are to unstable and nouveau
> drivers
> are doing a good job on this computer.

Try adding something like the following to your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, where
the "Identifier" is what you get from `xrandr -q`.

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "DVI-I-1"
        Option       "PreferredMode" "1280x1024"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Device0"
        Driver      "nouveau"
EndSection

-A
8F89 5E72 8DF0 BCF0 10BE 9967 92DC 35DC B001 4A4E