cd reader external

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Wed Sep 19 21:46:24 UTC 2012

On 09/19/2012 12:16 PM, Mikkel L. Ellertson uttered this comment:

> On 09/19/2012 11:50 AM, Rick Stevens wrote:
>> On 09/19/2012 05:18 AM, Patrick Dupre uttered this comment:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Can I use (mount?) a cd reader from another computer?
>>> Both computers are on internet, In aother words can I do a
>>> mount 122.255.988.10:/dev/cdrom or similar?
>>
>> Not really. You can ssh to the remote box, mount the media on the
>> remote box, then export that mount from the remote box via NFS or
> CIFS.
>>
>> On your local box, you'd mount the export from the remote box
> using the
>> appropriate mechanism (NFS or CIFS).
> I wounder if ISCSI would let you do this?

It would if the remote device was an iSCSI target and everything had
been set up cleanly. Remember that iSCSI only offers up raw block
devices. The mount of the remote device would have to know what
filesystem type the remote device was. iSCSI can be confusing.