UEFI bootkit

Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. eoconnor25 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 02:30:11 UTC 2012

On 09/19/2012 02:05 PM, Mike Wright wrote:
> And in today's news:
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/09/19/win8_rootkit/
>
> A few things in particular stood out to me:
>
> 1)  "Writing a bootkit couldn't be an easier task for virus writers
> with the UEFI framework available, much easier than before when they
> needed to code in pure assembly."
>
> 2) "... unless SecureBoot is used to ensure that only digitally signed
> UEFI bootloaders can be executed at the system bootup.
>
> 3) "... enabling SecureBoot by default effectively limits user choice."
>
> Great!  MS shoots self in foot, others in head.  We saw it coming :/

Or.......maybe this was a little "skit" to help make the push for
universal UEFI enforcement?.....this way Linux users are locked out, the
landscape once again returns to the Windows vs Apple conflict
eliminating the biggest threat to both of them in one hatchet swing! I
for one am going to be looking into way to get around this thing.....I
see no reason to be locked into using a particular brand or service JUST
because someone ELSE thinks I should!

EGO II