UEFI bootkit

Eddie O'Connor eoconnor25 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 11:13:36 UTC 2012

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 7:10 AM, Matthew Miller <mattdm at fedoraproject.org>wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 12:06:08PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> > On ARM systems the requirement is the reverse - it must not be possible
> > to disable it, so those devices will be locked to Windows if shipped that
> > way.
>
> Locked to bootloaders signed with the Microsoft key, not _necessarily_ to
> Windows, right?
>

> --
> Matthew Miller  ☁☁☁  Fedora Cloud Architect  ☁☁☁  <
> mattdm at fedoraproject.org>
> --

So then basically there's no REAL way to get a "modern" PC / laptop WITHOUT
this UEFI on it? Right? And the only way to be able to iunstall/boot
another OS would be to turn the UEFI off....but without the proper
key....that is impossible? Just trying to understand what this means when
it's time for me to upgrade my laptop....would like to know that I can
install the latest version of Fedora without any problems or issues
hardware-wise.

EGO II