UEFI bootkit

jdow jdow at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 21 04:04:18 UTC 2012

On 2012/09/20 19:38, JD wrote:

> On 09/20/2012 07:56 PM, Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. wrote:

>>> As long as the key is unique to one single machine the idea is sound
>>> except for the "user too stupid to live" cases.
>>>
>>> {^_^}
>>
> What is it that will check "uniqueness" of the key?
> Over the internet? Check with what/who ?

Nothing. The user would have the option in the BIOS to generate, somehow,
a random number. He's told to type keys on the keyboard, any keys at all,
with the intervals feeding some randomness into the system. Then the key
for signing is presented on the screen for the user to copy down, pen and
paper mode. (Yeah, that is SO centuries ago. But, it's not in electronic
form, yet, so it is quite secure. If the machine makes sure nothing is
plugged in other than keyboard, mouse, and monitor it's not likely to be
siphoned off by monitoring malware.)

{^_^}