UEFI bootkit

Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. eoconnor25 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 09:09:35 UTC 2012

On 09/21/2012 02:58 AM, Mateusz Marzantowicz wrote:

>>> AAAhhh!! NOW I think I understand!......
>> You can boot Fedora 18 with (U)EFI and secure boot turned on, of
>> course. Because the Fedora kernel and programs are signed with a
>> Fedora key, which itself is signed by M$.
>>
>> If you want to have "old-style" Fedora, you'll have to turn off secure
>> boot.
>>

> Sorry for my maybe stupid question but why there must my Microsoft's key
> on motherboard and not Fedora's one? Why Linux vendors don't intend to
> install theirs keys to revers the situation so that Microsoft would have
> to sign the keys? Or maybe keys from M$ and Fedora could coexist?
>

> Mateusz Marzantowicz

My thoughts EXACTLY! It would seem that the Open Source Community should
have their OWN UEFI / key / signing process that eliminates Microsoft
from the equation altogether! I for one would (and already DO!) donate
and support different projects within the community and would LOVE to
see something like this take off......the less "mingling" of Linux and
Microsoft the better!

EGO II