Jigdo: is it ever coming back?

Andre Robatino robatino at fedoraproject.org
Fri Sep 21 15:16:51 UTC 2012

Renich Bon Ciric <renich <at> woralelandia.com> writes:

> I really miss jigdo. It was a great way of updating the alpha iso into
> the beta one. It would be mega-cool to have it available for F18...

FYI, I provide delta ISOs between Alpha Gold, Beta Gold, and Final Gold in

http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/stage/deltaisos/Gold_releases/

This should be much more efficient than either jigdo or rsync in terms of
bandwidth, since these both basically just avoid downloading unchanged packages,
but download changed packages in full. Delta ISOs also do that, but in addition
use delta rpms for changed packages. The size of delta ISOs for Alpha->Beta, or
Beta->Final, is typically around 15-20% of full ISO size. The size for (N-1)
Final to either N Alpha, N Beta, or N Final is about half full size. The ones
for 17 Final to 18 Alpha are there now and are 43.0% and 43.7% of full size for
i386 or x86_64, resp.

If the goal is just to save bandwidth, rsync should work about as well as jigdo,
as mentioned above. If one wants to get a speedup from using simultaneous
connections, besides the torrents, you could look at the aria2 package (the
binary in it is called aria2c).

(Note that the name "Gold_releases" of the directory may change, since there is
currently a debate about whether the word "Gold" confuses people when applied to
Alpha or Beta.)