Jigdo: is it ever coming back?

Renich Bon Ciric renich at woralelandia.com
Fri Sep 21 15:47:45 UTC 2012

On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 10:16 AM, Andre Robatino
<robatino at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> FYI, I provide delta ISOs between Alpha Gold, Beta Gold, and Final Gold in
>
> http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/stage/deltaisos/Gold_releases/
>
> This should be much more efficient than either jigdo or rsync in terms of
> bandwidth, since these both basically just avoid downloading unchanged packages,
> but download changed packages in full. Delta ISOs also do that, but in addition
> use delta rpms for changed packages. The size of delta ISOs for Alpha->Beta, or
> Beta->Final, is typically around 15-20% of full ISO size. The size for (N-1)
> Final to either N Alpha, N Beta, or N Final is about half full size. The ones
> for 17 Final to 18 Alpha are there now and are 43.0% and 43.7% of full size for
> i386 or x86_64, resp.
>
> If the goal is just to save bandwidth, rsync should work about as well as jigdo,
> as mentioned above. If one wants to get a speedup from using simultaneous
> connections, besides the torrents, you could look at the aria2 package (the
> binary in it is called aria2c).
>
> (Note that the name "Gold_releases" of the directory may change, since there is
> currently a debate about whether the word "Gold" confuses people when applied to
> Alpha or Beta.)

Wow, thanks a lot for the awesome service! ;)

Didn't know about this. Should this be published somewhere on the
front/download page? This is great. Thanks!

--
It's hard to be free... but I love to struggle. Love isn't asked for;
it's just given. Respect isn't asked for; it's earned!

http://www.woralelandia.com/
http://www.introbella.com/