Jigdo: is it ever coming back?

Andre Robatino robatino at fedoraproject.org
Fri Sep 21 17:00:44 UTC 2012

Doug <dmcgarrett <at> optonline.net> writes:

> I never saw anything more abstruse than jigdo.  Some years ago I was
> faced with this to try and install some distro.  I gave up. Just use a
> live CD like everybody else.

I used to use jigdo for download Fedora Unity images (there was no choice,
except for torrents, which aren't great either) and hated it. It took most of
its time constantly closing and reopening a separate connection for each RPM,
rather than actual downloading (the TCP connection takes time to ramp up to full
speed, and since most of the RPMs are small, the average speed was well below
peak). It was like pulling teeth.