MTP Support in Fedora

Dave Cross davorg at gmail.com
Sat Sep 22 13:45:57 UTC 2012

I can't be the only person with this problem.

I have a Nexus 7. The Nexus runs Android Jellybean. Recent versions of
Android (like Jellybean) have removed support for USB mass storage and
the Nexus now connect to my Fedora 17 desktop using MTP.

This seems to be a problem as MTP support in Fedora (perhaps in Linux
in general) appears to be appalling. I have libmtp installed and up to
date. When I plug in the Nexus, both RhythmBox sees it and claim to
display the music found on it. But it doesn't find the MP3s I've
downloaded using the Amazon MP3 application. Banshee doesn't detect
the Nexus at all.

I've seen talk of something called "mtpfs", but that doesn't seem to
be available from the Fedora repos. Another app called gMTP sounds
like it might be useful, but is also not available for Fedora.

Has anyone else found a way round this problem? Is anyone packaging
mtpfs or gMTP for Fedora?

Thanks,

Dave...

Dave Cross :: dave at dave.org.uk