USB Installation - LiveUSB Creator

Manish Kathuria mkathuria at tuxtechnologies.co.in
Sat Sep 22 15:11:52 UTC 2012

On Sat, Sep 22, 2012 at 12:22 PM, JD <jd1008 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 09/22/2012 12:44 AM, Manish Kathuria wrote:
>>
>> I need to use a USB stick for installing Fedora 17 on  a system and
>> LiveUSB Creator is the program for creating a bootable Live USB
>> sticks.  As per the documentation, we need to use the Live ISO image
>> to create a Live USB stick using this program. However, if the sole
>> purpose is installation, can we use the installation CD or DVD ISO
>> images for creating the USB installation media ?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Manish
>
> Well, you could just dd the installation ISO to the usb stick,
> and then boot from the USB and install onto hard drive.
>
> I have already done that - with an interesting side effect.
> The system kept thinking that my USB stick was a cdrom
> and would not let me erase it (i.e. overwrite it).
> Perhaps I had done something wrong, I do not remember
> exactly what.
>
> Good luck.

Thanks for your tip.

Actually my objective is to create an USB installation media and then
delete a particular file (BOOTX64.efi) to prevent it from loading. As
you had mentioned, using dd changed the USB stick to a read only media
and showed its file system type as ISO9660. And as a result it did not
allow me to make any changes to the files in it.

I also tried using the LiveUSB Creator with the installation DVD ISO
as the source and created the Installation USB and tried to install
F17 using it. But anaconda threw an error after creating the
partitions because it could not locate the yum related files in the
repodata directory of the USB. The files were very much there but
somehow their names were truncated during the USB creation process.

So I think I will have to download and use a Live CD / DVD image only
for carrying out this Live USB creation exercise. Hope it will allow
me to delete the file(s) I need to remove.

--
Manish