MTP Support in Fedora

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Sat Sep 22 19:05:57 UTC 2012

On Sun, 2012-09-23 at 01:45 +0930, Tim wrote:
> On Sat, 2012-09-22 at 09:34 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > However a workaround for many use cases is to install an FTP or sftp
> > server on the device - there are several in the Play store - and
> > either use a basic FTP client from Linux or just mount the server from
> > Nautilus and use drag-and-drop. Be careful though. Doing this with a
> > large group of files at once seems to give random dropouts.
>
> On that note, across numerous computers and OSs, and network schemes,
> and file managing programs, I've always found that sort of thing to
> happen.
>
> It's meant that I've given up on doing backups on/with large storage
> devices, because it *always* cocks up, and it's a big pain in the neck
> to try and sort out which files got skipped, aborted, partially
> transferred, or corrupted.
>
> If I want to copy, say a few thousand files, I have to spend hours
> manually selecting batches of no more than a few hundred files at a
> time.  I have NEVER got this to work well.

Rsync to the rescue, as long as you can either mount the remote
filesystem or talk to an rsync process at the other end. Ideally use a
remote rsync process, but where this is not feasible you can still use
rsync to check for correct reception as long as you can read the files
back, and repeat any failed blocks automatically. Can be slow of course,
but if it's for taking backups that is a secondary consideration.

poc