Is this a packaging bug?

Ian Chapman packages at amiga-hardware.com
Mon Sep 24 15:36:38 UTC 2012

On 24/09/12 21:33, Tom Horsley wrote:

> I installed dovecot and postfix rpms on my system at work,
> and they didn't create the local users in my local passwd
> and group files.
>
> Apparently, they didn't create the local users because
> the yp server happened to have those same users defined
> on it.
>
> When I rebooted my system both postfix and dovecot failed
> to start because yp wasn't up yet, so the users were not
> defined.
>
> Shouldn't packages like this always want to really create
> real local users on they system doing the install?

To me, it seems the package did exactly the right thing. It isn't always
desirable to create the user locally (unless the user doesn't exist at
all) and it seems reasonable to assume that if the user already exists,
there's no need to create it.

It sounds to me like, if anything it's a bug or a misconfiguration of
the init system.

--
Ian Chapman.