opinions about partition sizes

Waldemar Villamayor-Venialbo wvenialbo at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 20:57:45 UTC 2012

Hello,

I believe the 'two-times-RAM' rule does not hold anymore if you have
4GB RAM or more.

Here is my layout, I have just 4GB RAM ;)

Workstation Partition Layout
sda          HDD                          114499MB
  sda1       PRI    /boot         ext4       500MB
  sda2       PVM                          113997MB
  vg_station LVM                          113984MB
    lv_root         /             ext4     10016MB
    lv_var          /var          ext4      4000MB
    lv_opt          /opt          ext4      6016MB
    lv_local        /usr/local    ext4      4000MB
    lv_home         /home         ext4       512MB
    lv_tmp          /tmp          ext4      1024MB
    lv_swap                       swap      2016MB
                    /var/lib/apache
                    /var/lib/mysql
                    /var/lib/postgresql

The rest of the HDD is reserved for expanding when needed.

You have to plan your /home and /tmp sizes if you do audio/video working...
mine is just a development workstation.

Regards