Looking for a way to get mp3s off an ipod

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 12:03:27 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-09-26 at 09:03 -0400, Darryl L. Pierce wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 09:52:40PM -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > >
> > > You can access the files on an iPod as a USB drive. I do so on my system
> > > (F17, Gnome, iPod 160GB) without an issue.
> >
> > Yes, but the filenames are random character strings unrelated to the
> > original titles except via a database. You need a library that
> > understands the database format in order to make sense of it.
>
> Apps like Banshee read the ID3 data out of the files and can set the
> name appropriately. Pretty easy to do.

Indeed. Banshee (and Amarok as Leilah mentioned) can do this, because
they have the requisite libraries. I was responding to the comment that
one can read the device directly as a mounted filesystem. You can, but
it's of no use to you without a library that understands it.

For completeness, it should probably be mentioned that iPod and iPhone
are different. The classic iPod series do present themselves to the USB
interface as memory devices, but iPhones and the iPod Touch have a more
sophisticated CPU and use a special protocol, implemented in Fedora by
the libimobiledevice library. You can mount them as a FUSE filesystem
using ifuse(1).

poc

poc