Change default app. -

Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Thu Sep 27 13:09:01 UTC 2012

On 27/09/12 07:51, Patrick O'Callaghan types:
> You need to substitute the actual filename of the .mov file.
>
>> >     xdg-mime: mimetype argument missing
>> >     Try 'xdg-mime --help' for more information.
>> >
>> >     [bobg at box9 ~]$ cat xdg-mime
>> >     cat: xdg-mime: No such file or directory
> That's never going to work unless you happen to be in the directory
> where the xdg-mime command lives (and if it's an executable then catting
> it to the screen is pointless and may screw up your terminal modes). Try
> 'type xdg-mime'. Besides, you've already demonstrated that you have the
> command because it gave you an error message.
>
> poc

    Yes, I see that now. I blindly copy/pasted the command without
    thought ...

    But I already know that vlc displays .mov files without a problem.
    If I save the file vlc will display it, Parole will not.. The
    problem is that I can't select vlc from the menu that pops up in
    Thunderbird Mail. Usually there is an item "Other" which is not
    present. I just need to select the default application. If xdb-mime
    must be used to do that I am lost, I don't begin to see what to do
    with it!

    Bob

--
http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD