Change default app. -

Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Thu Sep 27 16:08:10 UTC 2012

On 27/09/12 10:42, Ed Greshko types:

> Are you actually asking about how to have thunderbird launch an application different from parole?
I suppose that would work for the typical user but that's not the
solution I wanted. I prefer to control what the computer does, if I have
VLC installed I should be able to select it somehow and that has always
been the case! I would select Other > /usr/bin/vlc, check always do it
that way and forget the other stuff that may or may not work.

> In thunderbird, have you gone to "Edit---Preferences" and then Attachments to see if there is a "content type" defined?  If so, there should be an Action with a drop down where you can change it.

    Edit > Preferences > Applications would seem a likely candidate for
    accomplishing that but I can't find a way to add the file type MOV:

        The message source contains:

        --Apple-Mail-E11F90D8-F050-4959-B4F3-5C86AD57E5CF

        --Apple-Mail-E11F90D8-F050-4959-B4F3-5C86AD57E5CF

    Google produces instructions that look as though they might work if
    I could apply them, haven't had much success though.

    But it should not be this complicated, normally it give the option
    to select Other and that's it.

    I can still view the .mov files by saving them so it's not do or
    die, just an annoyance. I will check on another computer and see
    what happens there. I'll have to rsync the mail files to test that ...

    Thanks for the help,

    Bob

--
http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD