undo rm -rf *

Celik celik.n.00 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 1 04:40:50 UTC 2013

On Sat, Mar 30, 2013 at 4:22 AM, Patrick O'Callaghan
<pocallaghan at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Fri, 2013-03-29 at 17:40 +1100, Celik wrote:
> >  At some point a
> >
> > > pseudo-rm is going to fail, either because the implementer didn't
> handle
> > > some corner case correctly, or because you typed rm instead of nrm, or
> > > because a file was removed by a program without anyone typing anything,
> > > and the only solution is to have a backup. So if you're going to have a
> > > backup anyway, what's the point?
> > >

> > Lets say we did a daily backup at 9:00am and deleted some files by error
> at
> > 5:00 pm. Then what???
>
> If you're worried about that, then backup on an hourly basis, or even
> more frequently. Modern backup solutions such as rsnapshot or obnam do
> this incrementally and at very low cost. Then you can only lose a
> maximum of an hour's work. Given that much of that work will be
> program-generated, and another substantial amount will come from user
> apps which have their own internal backups (e.g. word processors etc.)
> the potential for catastrophic loss is reduced considerably. YMMV of
> course.
>
> > A daily backup plus some kind of control mechanism prior to rm (ls and/or
> > nrm) seems to solve the above mentioned scenario. Anyway that's what I've
> > learned from my experience.
>
> Do you also have regular backups? If not, I'm afraid you're going to be
> disappointed sooner or later.

I carry out three types of backups.
Backup type-1: complete home directory, done once a month or so, using tar
to an external hard-drive #1
Backup type-2: for projects completed or adjusted, using tar to an external
hard-drive #2. Backup intervals vary.
Backup type-3: during code development, using "cp -rf" to a backup folder
under home directory. I use this to make backups of my code.

In this thread, it has been suggested to do daily backups. But it wasn't
clear, should the daily backups be for the whole system or only the current
project we are working on?

An issue that has been bothering me and caused me to be reluctant in making
regular backups is - a complete backup is costly. It takes 4-5 hours
minimum, plus causing storage issues, the compressed home directory is too
large.