Fedora 18 won't print in Landscape mode.

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Apr 1 10:18:43 UTC 2013

On Mon, 2013-04-01 at 09:18 +0200, Heinz Diehl wrote:
> BUT: can it be that you are using Libreoffice? That seems to be a long
> standing but, and you have to go to "properties -> device" in the
> printer settings dialog and set the "printer language type" from "PDF"
> to "Postscript" to get this to work.

Wouldn't that be a print-to-file, rather than print-on-paper, issue?

If being unable to print in landscape is an application problem, that's
often down to trying to do it in the wrong way.  e.g. With a word
processor, the page formatting settings determine landscape or portrait
printing, not the printer settings.  Likewise with graphics programs,
though aspect ratio tending to be automatic determination.  The printer
will print the page in the aspect that the page is actually laid out,
automatically, rather than squeeze or stretch the picture along the page
to print the wrong way around, unless deliberate steps are taken
regarding stretching.

By way of illustrative example, if the large rectangle represents the
paper, and the asterisks what is going to be printed on the page,
printing like this tends to be avoided by software:

+--------------------------------+
|            ******              |
|            ******              |

You have to go out of your way to print in the aspect and orientation
that you want.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686