Converting MKV videos to MP2 -4 ?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Mon Apr 1 16:53:33 UTC 2013

Am 01.04.2013 18:49, schrieb Bill Davidsen:
> Ed Greshko wrote:
>> On 04/01/13 07:55, Jim wrote:
>>> F18/Kde
>>>
>>> How can one convert MKV videos to MP2-4 ?
>>>
>>> What app will do it ?
>>
>> GUI or command line?
>>
>> Miro for GUI
>> ffmpeg for command line
>>
>> I use....
>>
>> /usr/bin/ffmpeg -i $1 -acodec aac -ab 96k -vcodec libx264 -preset slow -f mp4 -crf 22 -strict experimental $1.mp4
>>
>> in a script
>>
> Wow, I see why you want it in a script. I confess to being lazy and just setting the output filename to
> {something}.webm and getting a pretty portable file

portable?

* Apple does not support it
* Microsoft does not support it
* many mobile devices does not support it
* most hardware-devices does not support it

don't get me wrong, i owuld love to have VP8 in the position H264
is, but since it's part of my daily job to write software which
supports most to all clients with videos that's not how the world
works for at least some years from now