Converting MKV videos to MP2 -4 ?

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon Apr 1 17:18:46 UTC 2013

Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Ed Greshko wrote:
>> On 04/01/13 07:55, Jim wrote:
>>> F18/Kde
>>>
>>> How can one convert MKV videos to MP2-4 ?
>>>
>>> What app will do it ?
>>
>> GUI or command line?
>>
>> Miro for GUI
>> ffmpeg for command line
>>
>> I use....
>>
>> /usr/bin/ffmpeg -i $1 -acodec aac -ab 96k -vcodec libx264 -preset slow -f mp4
>> -crf 22 -strict experimental $1.mp4
>>
>> in a script
>>
> Wow, I see why you want it in a script. I confess to being lazy and just setting
> the output filename to {something}.webm and getting a pretty portable file. I
> adjust frame size and video bitrate as needed, generally defaults work.

Hum, tried this with an old cell phone which didn't have the latest and greatest
updates, the big long script works with old phones, and the ffmpeg idea of
"webm" doesn't. On the other hand, the mp4 was more than double the size, so
there are tradeoffs. I suspect the OP wants portability above all.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>