Can't Load Fedora 15

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Mon Apr 1 18:06:01 UTC 2013

On 04/01/2013 10:51 AM, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> There are reasons for running old versions, but but only a few of us
> have a good one. I stopped caring after not getting a response, and
> follow this thread now for amusement, watching sensible people not only
> beat a dead horse, but drag the carcass through the streets.

Absolutely.  Yesterday's updates (I presume) somehow b0rk my desktop,
running F 17; even rebooting into an older kernel didn't get things
back.  (No, this isn't an attempt to hijack the thread; it's just
background for what follows.)  The boot process never completes, but
when disk activity stops, I can get to an alternate TTY and log in;
sometimes, but not always, the network's up.  (I'm a tad suspicious of
my NIC, but again, that's a side issue.)

I've decided that the best thing to do is to reinstall Fedora, without
reformatting /home to get a fresh start.  Right now I'm downloading the
F 17 .iso onto my laptop and will burn a DVD.  Why 17?  Well, I've been
reading all too many threads on fedoraforum about people having endless
problems with the new anaconda's partitioning software, especially when
it comes to reusing old partitions and I'm not willing to take any
chances with it.  Being one version behind isn't really that bad, as
it's still supported, but I wanted to toss it out as a reason not to go
with The Latest And Greatest.