Avoiding LVM -

Lester M Petrie lmpetrie at bellsouth.net
Wed Apr 3 15:49:45 UTC 2013

On 04/03/2013 10:33 AM, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Tue, 02 Apr 2013 09:18:47 -0400
> Lester M Petrie wrote:
>
>> I like to put /opt and /usr/local on separate partitions also, as that
>> way they don't have to be reloaded when I do a fresh install.
>
> I've found that "bind" mounts are your friend.
>
> I've got a SSD system disk with room for a couple of versions
> of fedora to be installed in two partitions, Then for things
> I want to keep around between upgrades, I make /home a bind
> mount to /reallybigdisk/home (as an example).
>
> That way I don't have to decide how to parcel out space
> on my "really big disk", I just make bind mounts to
> directories on that disk.

This is probably what I would do if I was starting from scratch today.
The separate partitions date to early Fedora on a different machine with
multiple, much smaller disks.  When I migrated to the current machine,
it was easier just migrate that structure without thinking about it.

--
Lester M Petrie