Avoiding LVM -

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Apr 4 03:09:06 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-04-02 at 14:39 -0400, Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA
wrote:
> On 02/04/13 14:13, Joe Zeff wrote:
>
> As a home user, I don't need to resize things dynamically, and LVM is
> the solution to a problem I don't have.
----
I'm not sure where this concept sprang from but I think you could easily
say the same for many things on Linux until they become very useful. LVM
is surely one of those things that seems to be overly complex and in the
way until it solves a particular problem that you never anticipated
having.

For example, Mr. Zeff botched up his /home by trying to fuse it with an
older /boot partition and LVM could have fused them rather simply and
painlessly.

I myself have moved partitions around on hard drives and have easily
increased the size of logical volumes when adding new hard drives to an
existing system.

So yeah, it seems that it's a solution to problem that you don't have
but I think you are missing an important word... YET

Craig

believed to be clean.