Avoiding LVM -

Matthew J. Roth mroth at imminc.com
Thu Apr 4 17:41:48 UTC 2013

Joe Zeff wrote:

> On 04/04/2013 08:45 AM, Bill Oliver wrote:
> >
> > I take my laptop on the road a lot, and I have work stuff on it I don't
> > want the world to see.  I don't encrypt the whole disk, but I have an
> > encrypted partitiion, and keep sensitive data on it.
>
> You might also consider keeping it on a flash drive with an ext4 file
> system, as most people who'd find it wouldn't know how to read it.

As a warning to future readers, this is just bad advice because then the files
would be unencrypted on a device that is much easier to lose.

Security through obscurity by itself is not a valid approach.  Changing the port
that SSH listens on may reduce the number of automated attacks, but it's still
important to disallow root logins, use key-based authentication, maintain IP
white/blacklists, etc.

Regards,

Matthew Roth
InterMedia Marketing Solutions