Avoiding LVM -

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Thu Apr 4 21:33:38 UTC 2013

On 04/04/2013 10:40 AM, Bill Oliver wrote:

> Yeah, I tried that, but ran into the issue of having to keep track of
> all the extra bits of equipment, etc. that I had to travel with.  For
> every extra flash drive, ear bud, phone, pad, network gadget, etc.
> there's a small finite positive probability that it will get left in a
> hotel room or banged up bad enough that it won't work.  For each one,
> it's a small probability, but in aggregate, it becomes an issue.

OK, here's another way to keep it safe: buy a vanity domain and set up a
small website.  Have a hidden, password protected subdirectory that you
can use to stash sensitive material in.

Or, if you really want to be clever, have an extra partition on your
hard disk that's not normally mounted.  When you need the secure files,
mount it at ~/Documents/extra, or something.  The really neat thing is
that you can have other, innocuous files stored there; you just won't be
able to access them when that partition's mounted.  (You can even
encrypt that one partition if you prefer, but having your whole file
system encrypted is just holding up a big, red sign telling everybody
that you have something to hide.)  If you prefer, of course, reverse
this: have that partition normally mounted, containing the dummy files
and the souper seekret stuph only available when it's not mounted.