Avoiding LVM -

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Thu Apr 4 21:42:03 UTC 2013

On 04/04/2013 10:41 AM, Matthew J. Roth wrote:
> As a warning to future readers, this is just bad advice because then the files
> would be unencrypted on a device that is much easier to lose.

I get the impression that the OP's concern wasn't accidental loss, but
theft or otherwise unauthorized access.  And, there are lots of ways to
carry a flash drive that make them hard to misplace.

Using a Linux-specific file system won't stop anybody from the
gubbermint from reading it, but it will deter the casual thief who
probably doesn't know that the way Windows stores things isn't the only
way.  For that matter, you can, if you wish, encrypt the drive, to add a
second layer of security and if you're really cautious, the files
themselves.  One of the nice things about doing it this way is that you
can put the drive in your checked luggage and carry the laptop and not
have to worry about TSA or Customs finding something you'd rather they
didn't see.